Head Massage, a common method of relieving migraine headaches, can be done by a professional – or you can do it yourself using this technique.
Head Massage for Pain Relief
- Neck – prevents headaches
- Slide – Tilting your client’s head to one side and supporting it with one hand, put the fingers of the other hand over the shoulders and slide your thumb up the neck, releasing the tension.
- Shiatsu neck points – Using the thumbs press either side of the cervical vertebrae at regular intervals from the top of the neck down to the shoulders, then return to the top of the neck.
- Pullbacks – Tilt head slightly to one side and push horizontally forward across the neck with the other hand, starting at the top of the neck and repeating twice more at regular intervals down to the base of the neck.
- Scalp – relaxes the mind
- Brisk rub – supporting the forehead with one hand, rub the base of the skull briskly first with the fingers and then the heel of the palm, causing gentle friction.
- Figure skating – Tilt and support the head and with the ball of the other hand rub briskly from behind the ear to the temple in a C shape over one side of the scalp.
- Firm hand friction – with one hand supporting the side of the head, place the other hand over the ear, fingers facing forward, and move the scalp up and down firmly and briskly.
Also see how to get diarrhea treatment
Grapeseed oil is the most widely used oil for body massage. It is finely textured, smooth and free-flowing. This will nourish the skin and allow it to store for longer, vitamin E. being an antioxidant prevents rancidity.
Advantages of Grapeseed Oil in Head Massage
- Smooth hence good for full body massage.
- Provides good slip and is easily absorbed.
- Suitable for all skin types and areas
- Cheap and readily available.
Sweet Almond Oil
Sweet almond oil is a pale yellow, thick liquid that mixes well with most other carrier oils and essential oils.
It is rich in nutrients, such as unsaturated fatty acids (EFA), and also contains a high percentage of vitamins such as A, B1, B2, B6, D and E. It is excellent in treating psoriasis, eczema and dermatitis due to its vitamin E. content. It also has some anti-inflammatory properties, which allows it to be beneficial to conditions such as sunburn.
Advantages Sweet Almond Oil in Head Massage
- Stores well due to vitamin E. content
- Cold pressed therefore relatively pure.
- Has protective and nourishing qualities to the skin
- Evening Primrose Oil.
Evening Primrose oil is an expensive oil, but has excellent moisturizing benefits. It contains linoleic acid, and gamma linoleic acid (GLA). Also contains some vitamins and minerals.
Useful for PMT, period pains, arthritis and rheumatism.